Sunday, July 29, 2012

My Favorites

I'm often asked who my favorite photographers and architects are.

The former is simple: Robert and Shana Parkeharrison.  This duo is the ultimate blend of Kantian sublime and Hitchcock-like terror.  As Alfred himself so famously said, "there is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it."  No one illustrates this in still frame better than these two.  Just enough, and no more.

The latter is much trickier.  I have two strong beliefs regarding the built environment.

1)  Buildings should be contextually regional & sustainable.
2)  Buildings should be stylistically equivalent to the time in which they were born.  Remember, Monticello was once "modern"

There are several firms, ranging in size, that fit this bill.


Sound good?

2 comments:

  1. I had not heard of ParkeHarrison before but in looking at some of the photography on their site, I could see how at least one of your pieces was influenced by them. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their influence is visually translated in a few works, yes, but I'd say their philosophy permeates almost all the work.

    ReplyDelete